The Bold Voice of J&K

Two LeT militants, civilian killed in encounter

0 55
Army jawans near the house where Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militants were hiding during an encounter at Chenigam in Kulgam district of South Kashmir on Thursday.

SRINAGAR: Two Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militants and a civilian were killed and three security force personnel injured in an encounter creating subsequent law and order problem in Kulgam District of south Kashmir on Friday.
Two LeT militants were killed in the overnight gun-battle in Chenigam village of Kulgam Daistrict, a police spokesman said.
He said the slain militants have been identified as Mohammad Abbas Malla alias Khatab and Manzoor-ul-Haq Malik, both residents of Kulgam.
“An AK rifle and an INSAS rifle have been recovered from the encounter site,” the spokesman said.
After the bodies of the militants were recovered, firing started again at the scene of the encounter, resulting in injuries to three security force personnel and a civilian, he said.
The civilian — identified as 25-year-old Tariq Ahmad Bhat — succumbed to injuries, he said.
However, local residents contested the police claim saying Bhat was shot at by retreating security forces from the scene of encounter when they came under stone-pelting by youth demanding the bodies of slain militants.
The police spokesman refused to comment on the claims of the local residents.
He said two army personnel and a CRPF jawan were injured in the fresh firing at the spot that also resulted in injuries to the deceased civilian.
The spokesman said the slain militants were involved in several militancy-related incidents in south Kashmir for the past couple of years.
“Abbas Malla joined LeT ranks in 2013 and was involved in an attack on a police party at Arwani and the recent attack on CRPF at Lavdora in Qazigund,” he said.
“Malik was involved in the killing of Nasir Mir of Shopian in May this year, besides being involved in Lavdora attack,” he added.
According to an official handout, intelligence input about presence of two militants in a house in Chinnigam village was received in the afternoon of 13 November. Rashtriya Rifles unit along with SOG launched the operations at 1400 hours. While the Army soldiers were in the process of establishing cordon, the militants holed up in the house, opened fire against the soldiers. The area around the house was effectively cordoned to seal the escape routes. As the noose tightened, militants again opened up at 4.30 PM. The army soldiers engaged the militants and the intermittent exchange of fire continued. The contact was re-established at about 5.30 PM on Friday, and the fire fight ensued resulting into killing of the two militants.
The operation has been called off and bodies of the militants handed over to the Police.

Leave a comment
WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By :