Salman ignores NCW summons
New Delhi:- Bollywood superstar Salman Khan today failed to appear before National Commission for Women, defying the summons sent by the women’s panel over his rape remark.
According to a statement by the Commission, it received a legal response from Salman’s team and is evaluating the next step.
“It may be noted that today, i.e. 08.07.2016, Mr Khan or his legal team has not appeared before the Commission.
However, the Commission has received a response from his legal team, which is currently being examined by the Commission,” the statement said.
NCW Chairperson Lalitha Kumaramangalam, however, refused to spell out on what possible action could be taken against the actor.
NCW had written to the actor to issue a public apology but later summoned him after it found his reply “unapologetic and unsatisfactory”.
The commission had also warned Salman that if he failed to appear before the panel it may proceed to take action against him as it deems fit.
The summons sent to the actor last week had said, “Commission finds that you are not willing to apologise for the remarks made by you. The explanation offered by you, after making such an irresponsible and callous statement… doesn’t amount to an apology.”
Salman had also failed to appear before the Maharashtra State Commission yesterday for the second time. The state commission has now asked the actor to appear before it on July 14.
Salman courted a controversy when he compared his gruelling workout for his movie “Sultan” left him feeling like a raped woman.