The Bold Voice of J&K

Kharge writes to Shah, seeks his intervention in ensuring adequate security for Bharat Jodo Yatra in J&K

63

NEW DELHI: Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge has written to Home Minister Amit Shah seeking his intervention in ensuring adequate security to the Bharat Jodo Yatra in Jammu and Kashmir.

His letter to Shah comes after the Bharat Jodo Yatra was suspended for the afternoon session on Friday following a “security lapse”, with the Congress alleging that the J and K Police had withdrawn security around its leader Rahul Gandhi in the wake of surging crowds during the foot march in Qazigund.

“We are expecting a huge gathering to join the yatra over the next two days and also the function that will be held on 30th January at Srinagar. Many senior Congress leaders and leaders of other important political parties are attending the culmination function to be held on the 30th of January.

“I shall be grateful if you could personally intervene in this matter and advise the concerned officials to provide adequate security till the culmination of the yatra and the function on the 30th January at Srinagar,” the Congress president said in his letter to the home minister.

He said he is writing after the “unfortunate security lapse” during the Bharat Jodo Yatra.

On the advice of the security officials in charge of the security detail of Rahul Gandhi, the Yatra had to be suspended, Kharge said.

“We appreciate the Jammu and Kashmir Police and welcome their statement saying they will continue to ensure complete security till the culmination of the journey,” he said.

However, the leader of opposition in the Rajya Sabha also said, “You will appreciate the fact that a large crowd of common people has joined and walked in the Bharat Jodo Yatra every day. It is difficult for the organisers to tell exactly how many people are expected over the day as it is a spontaneous gesture of the common people to join the yatra.”

The Bharat Jodo Yatra led by Gandhi started in Kanyakumari on September 7 and will culminate on January 30 in Srinagar after traversing through 12 states.

The 3500-km foot march is aimed at galvanising the Congress cadres across the country, but the party is claiming that the Yatra is not political and seeks to unite India in the wake of growing “hatred”.

Sharing his letter to Shah, the Congress chief said on Twitter, “Security lapse during Bharat Jodo Yatra led to its suspension yesterday, after Rahul Gandhi’s security detail suggested same.”

“We are expecting a huge gathering, including leaders of important political parties at its culmination,” he said.

Kharge had earlier said that the alleged lapse in Gandhi’s security detail in J and K during the Yatra was disconcerting to say the least.

“It is government of India’s prime responsibility to provide security. India has already lost two PM’s and scores of leaders and we demand better security for the Yatris,” he said on Twitter. (PTI)

WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com